Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fall in Kentucky



I quit smoking when my oldest grandson Tyler was born almost 10 years ago. It was hard to do. There is no doubt in my mind that smoking is bad for you and I certainly don't want my grandchildren taking up that habit. But growing tobacco in Kentucky has been a way of life for so many people here. It has fed and clothed many families in this beautiful state and has provided many others with extra money to spend for Christmas. Even though the tobacco farmer is slowly disappearing, I have so much admiration for them. A tobacco farmer must surely have great faith in the God of all creation, to provide the right amount of rain, sunshine and protect the crop from disease. I'm sure they spend much time on their knees.

My pastor, Kenny Davis, recently took some pictures of his uncle's barn showing the beautiful blue sky and the colorful trees of fall....and the tobacco curing in the barn. What a picture! I can almost smell the leaves and the crisp fall air. Who could paint such a picture except our God?!

No comments: